D. S. Acree collection
Scope and Content of the Dorsey S. Acree Collection
The collection consists of papers of D.S. Acree from 1941-1972. Mainly documents his involvement in the International Brotherhood of Painters of Allied Trades and its predecessor the Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America, Local 193 (Atlanta, Ga.) and the District Council 38. The collection includes correspondence (1941-1972), financial documents (1958, 1970-1971), legal documents (1962-1966), and printed material (1959-1971).
- Acree, D. S. (Dorsey S.) (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Oversize materials stored off-site. Allow at least 2 working days for retrieval.
Biographical Note about D. S. Acree
D.S. (Dorsey S.) Acree was trustee of the Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators and Paperhangers of America, later the International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades, Local 193 (Atlanta, Ga.).
0.25 Linear Feet (in 1 box)
Language of Materials
The D. S. Acree Collection, 1941-1972, contains correspondence, financial documents, legal documents, and printed materials related to his work with the Painters International Offices and Painters Local Union 193.
Oversized Materials stored offsite. Allow at least 2 working days for retrieval.
Collection donated by Mr. and Mrs. Dorsey S. Acree, 1972 (L1972-14 and L1972-71).
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or catalog. For contracts, see the Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America Contracts collection finding aid. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For constitutions and bylaws or proceedings, consult archivist.
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- The Painter and Decorator. December 1957, January 1958, September 1961, February 1966; February-March, July-September, November 1969
- Journal of Labor. August 20, September 19, September 24, October 15, October 29, 1971
- ALA Action. undated
- Painters and Allied Trades Journal. January, April-August 1972
- Building and Construction Trades Bulletin. February 1959
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers, 1920-1969
- California, Painters. Orange Belt District Council 48, 1963
- International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades. District Council 38 (Atlanta, Ga.), 1941, 1948, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1963, 1966, 1969, 1971
- International Association of Bridge, Structural and Ornamental Iron Workers, 1961
- Operative Plasterers and Cement Mason International Association, 1961
- National Joint Board Agreements, 1920-1969
- Painters District Council 56 (Miami, Fla.), 1969
- Glaziers Union (Atlanta, Ga.), 1960
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers, 1929,1937, 1942, 1947, 1955, 1965, 1970
- Florida, Painters. Orlando Local 100, 1923
- International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades. District Council 38 (Atlanta, Ga.), 1941, 1948, 1958, 1965, 1971
- Georgia, Painters. Atlanta Local 193, 1928, 1938, 1946, 1950, 1960, 1963, 1965, 1968, 1970
- AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades Department, 1936
- Florida, Miami. Painters District Councils 16 and 56, 1927, 1968
- Georgia, Atlanta. Building and Construction Trades Council, undated
- Georgia, Atlanta. Paperhangers Local 566, undated
- Georgia, Columbus. Building and Construction Trades Council, 1937
- Georgia, Milledgeville. Painters Local 1648, 1952
- Missouri, St. Louis. Painters District Council, 1929
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers, 1946
- Painters, 17th General Convention, 1946
- Georgia Federation of Labor, 37th Annual Convention, 1935
- Georgia State AFL-CIO, 14th Annual Convention, Officers Report, 1970
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- Forty-five pamphlets, filed by publisher, concerning: Georgia and U.S. labor and employment laws, apprenticeship standards, organizing procedures, inflation, wages, labor history, Painters pension fund, export of American jobs, age discrimination, collective bargaining, and International Ladies Garment Workers Union products.
Processed by E. L. Eltzroth and Robert Dinwiddie at the file level,1972. 2 separate finding aids combined.
This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America. District Council 38
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America. Local 193 (Atlanta, Ga.)
- International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades. Local 193 (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Labor leaders
- Labor unions
- Painters, Industrial -- Labor unions
- Southern States
- Acree, D. S. (Dorsey S.) (Person)
- D. S. Acree:
- A Guide to His Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303