Skip to main content

Atlanta Labor Temple records

 Collection
Identifier: L1971-03

Scope and Content of the Records

The collection consists of records of the Atlanta Labor Temple from 1896-1963. The minutes (1910-1963) of the stockholders and board of directors discuss stock redemption, dividend payments, building maintenance, expansion, and rent. The financial documents (1910-1959) illuminate the Temple's fluctuating fiscal condition. The legal documents (1910-1962) pertain to the acquisition of a new building, maintenance, rental agreements, leases, and mortgages. Additional materials pertain to the Atlanta Federal Labor Union (1900); American Federation of Labor; Bricklayers, Masons, and Plasterers International Union of America, Local 4 (Atlanta, Ga.) (1920); International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (1914); International Association of Machinists, Lodge 1 (Atlanta, Ga.) (1896-1901).

Dates

  • 1896-1963

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Oversized Materials stored offsite. Contact archivist in advance to view these materials; 24-hour notice is required.

History of the Atlanta Labor Temple

The Atlanta Labor Temple Association was founded in 1910 by a group of unions and individuals to provide office and meeting space for Atlanta's labor community. It occupied a building at 112 Trinity Street, and in 1916 constructed a new facility on that site. In 1930, the Association moved to 91 Trinity Street, in 1951 to 345 Washington Street, and in 1958 to 250 10th Street, the last building it owned.

Extent

2.502 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract:

The Atlanta Labor Temple Association was founded in 1910 by a group of unions and individuals to provide office and meeting space for Atlanta's labor community. Records include extensive minutes (1910-1963), statements and other financial records, material (1916) from a cornerstone of the Labor Temple, and a historical collection (1896-1947).

Acquisition Information

Donated by the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 225 (Atlanta, Ga.), September 30 1971 (L1971-03) and March 5, 1973 (L1973-18).

Online Availability

Some of the photographs in this collection have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library's Digital Collections.

Separated Materials Note

During processing, periodicals, photographs, proceedings, and pamphlets were separated to various Southern Labor Archives collections. For periodicals see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid. For photographs, see the the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection. For pamphlets see Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets collection finding aid.

Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Proceedings collection

  1. Georgia Federation of Labor Annual Convention, 1916 [L1971-03]
  2. Georgia Federation of Labor, 1930 [L1973-18]

Processing Information

Series I and II arrived, were processed, and described separately, 1972.

Creator

Title
Atlanta Labor Temple:
Subtitle
A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
Completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
1972
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • June 2001: Electronic finding aids created by Apex Data Services.
  • February 2006: Revised and single finding aid created by William Hardesty

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)