Skip to main content

WSB Radio records

 Collection
Identifier: M004
The records contain correspondence, memos, scrapbooks, news clippings, publicity materials, program log books, scripts, radio engineering lesson plans, contracts, licenses, photographs, sound recordings, moving image recordings, transcripts, and artifacts relating to the early history of WSB Radio, to WSB performers, programs, awards, and sponsored events (such as news workshops and career conferences for students), and to WSB-FM and WSB-TV.

The sound recordings in the collection include examples of musical, dramatic and general interest programming from circa 1944 through circa 1984; news programming; and political speeches from 1946 and 1948, generated by the heated gubernatorial and congressional races of those years. The political speeches include campaign addresses by Eugene Talmadge, Herman Talmadge, James Carmichael, E.D. Rivers, Helen Douglas Mankin, James C. Davis, Ellis Arnall, M.E. Thompson and others.

Dates

  • 1920-1985
  • Majority of material found within 1960 - 1980

Creator

Restrictions on access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Extent

24 Linear Feet (in 52 boxes)

Abstract:

WSB Radio was first radio station to broadcast in the city of Atlanta, on March 15, 1922. With its many breakthrough practices, from being the first radio station to use a slogan to broadcasting a Spanish translation of "Voice of America" programs to Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, WSB always remained cutting edge and more importantly, relevant. The records, 1920-1985, contain correspondence, memos, scrapbooks, news clippings, publicity materials, program log books, scripts, radio engineering lesson plans, contracts, licenses, photographs, slides, sound recordings, moving image recordings, transcripts, and artifacts relating to the early history of WSB Radio, to WSB performers, programs, awards, and sponsored events (such as news workshops and career conferences for students), and to WSB-FM and WSB-TV.

History of WSB Radio

WSB ("Welcome South, Brother") Radio, the first radio station to broadcast in the city of Atlanta, was "born" on March 15, 1922, when it went on the air for the first time at a power of 100 watts. The station was originally owned by The Atlanta Journal and broadcast from a makeshift studio on the fifth floor of The Journal building on Forsyth Street in downtown Atlanta. In 1925 the station moved to more spacious quarters on the top floor of the Biltmore Hotel, where it remained for the next thirty years. Both The Journal and WSB were purchased by Governor James M. Cox of Ohio in 1939; WSB is still a property of Cox Broadcasting Corporation, which was formed when Cox operations reorganized in 1964. From late 1955 until 1998, the offices and studios of WSB Radio (and WSB TV) were located at White Columns on Peachtree Street. In June 1998, WSB Radio moved into new facilities at the intersection of Beverly Road and Peachtree Street, taking with it four columns from White Columns and placing the historic columns in the rear garden of the new buildings.

Hailed as the "Voice of the South," WSB Radio was an innovative pioneer in radio. With its many breakthrough practices, from being the first radio station to use a slogan to broadcasting a Spanish translation of "Voice of America" programs to Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis, WSB always remained cutting edge and more importantly, relevant. Its presence continues to be felt in the city of Atlanta, throughout the nation, and worldwide.

Further information on the history of WSB Radio can be found in Welcome South Brother, the book prepared for the station's 50th anniversary, and in the "History" files in this collection.

Acquisition Information

Donated by WSB Radio, 1984.

Related Materials Note

Related materials in other repositories:
  1. Multiple collections of WSB materials are available at the Atlanta History Center
  2. WSB-TV records are housed in the Walter J. Brown Media Archives, University of Georgia.
  3. WSB-TV and WSB records, circa 1968-1980 are held at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia.
  4. WSB records and Elmo Ellis papers are available at the Manuscript, Archives, Rare Book Library, Emory University.

Processing Information

Initial inventory and processing by Christopher Ann Paton, November 1986; revised by Paton and Christine de Catanzaro, February 1990, September 1994, October 1994, September 1999, December 2001, March 2002 (material added). Revised and EAD finding aid created by Laura Botts and Trish Raque Bogdan, 2005. Finding aid updated and additional sound recordings processed in 2006 by Amanda Brown. EAD edited by William Hardesty, 2007.
Title
WSB Radio:
Subtitle
A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
1986-2006
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)