Wayne W. Daniel collection
Scope and Contents of the Collection
The Wayne W. Daniel collection contains manuscript copies of the book Pickin' on Peachtree, audio cassette recordings of oral histories, photographs, posters and event flyers, commercial and non-commercial sound recordings, as well as commercial and non-commercial video recordings. The bulk of the collection is made up of Dr. Daniel's research files that he utilized to write his numerous articles and papers on country music as well as Pickin' on Peachtree.
A large number of books, periodicals, sheet music, and song folios are separated from the collection. The books cover the topics of Country and Western music, folk music, blues, Southern gospel music, bluegrass music, phonographs, hymns, the Grand Ole Opry and individuals such as Doc Watson, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Bill Monroe, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and others. The periodicals explore the subjects of country music, bluegrass music, blues, gospel music, and various instruments. The sheet music consists of country and popular songs, and the song folios include collections of music by the Southern Music Company, Roy Acuff, Bob Nolan, Raymond Tate, and many others.
- Daniel, Wayne W. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Part of this collection (Vogue Picture Discs) is stored off-site. Allow at least 2 working days for retrieval.
Biography of Wayne W. Daniel
Dr. Wayne W. Daniel (1929-), Professor Emeritus, Decision Sciences, Georgia State University, maintained concurrently a long-time avocational interest in country music. The author of more than two-hundred articles on country music, bluegrass music, and Southern gospel music in such publications as Bluegrass Unlimited, Journal of Country Music, and The Devil's Box, his definitive book on the history of country music in Atlanta, Pickin' On Peachtree (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press), was published in 1990 and reprinted in paperback in 2000. He has also written over 15 books on statistics and Decision Sciences.
57.8 Linear Feet (in 141 boxes)
Language of Materials
Organization of the Collection
Organized into 5 series: (I) Manuscripts, (II) Oral histories, (III) Research Files, (IV) Visual Materials, and (V) Audio-Visual Recordings.
Source of Aquisition
Donated by Wayne W. Daniel in 28 accessions between 1990 and 2017.
During processing various materials were separated to other Popular Music and Culture Music Collections. Please contact Special Collections for access.
- Numerous books and monographs on early country music, western swing, bluegrass, and gospel have been added to the Special Collections Books. Please see the catalog for access.
- Numerous songbooks and song folios have been added to the Special Collections Books. See the online catalog for access.
- Numerous country and western, bluegrass, folk, gospel, and radio periodicals have been added to the Popular Music and Culture Periodicals collection. Please consult the online catalog or the finding aid (Music Printed Collection: Periodicals) for access.
- Many pieces of sheet music written or made famous by country music artisits have been added to the Popular Music Sheet Music collection. See the Sheet Music Database for access.
- Various commercial sound recordings have been separated to the Popular Music and Culture Sound Recording collection.
- Various video recordings have been separated to the Popular Music and Culture Video collection.
Processed by Christopher A. Paton, Christine de Catanzaro, Casey Cater, Laura Botts, and Amanda Brown at the file level, September 1998; December 2001; 2003-2007.
- Wayne W. Daniel:
- A Guide to His Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Under Revision
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description